Sokyo, The Star, Sydney

Guest blogger edition


As part of my birthday, I was lucky enough to be taken out to Sokyo - the one hatted restaurant at The Star! Sokyo is kind of a modern Japanese fusion cuisine and I had read a lot of good things about it and was very eager to try it out. Located on the ground floor of The Star, the restaurant itself is very professionally done (as you would expect from a restaurant of this calibre) and the service was top notch. As I'm a bit more budget conscious these days, mainly eating at local eateries instead of fine dining establishments, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal at Sokyo. 



Knowing that the meal would not be a cheap one and with no degustation menu on offer, I spent a lot of time perusing the extensive menu. I wanted to get the best for my money! haha. It was a difficult task as I wanted tasty, interesting dishes but also dishes that would be filling. With the number of options in the menu (there was separate sections for Sashimi, Tempura, Robata, Essential dishes, Soups, Salads, Sokyo Nigiri, Sokyo Sushi rolls as well as Traditional nigiri and sushi rolls) there was a lot of discussion to be had before we decided what to order. Lucky for us, our waiter was super helpful and guided us on what we should order ( 1- 2 dishes from the first few sections and then nigiri and rolls to finish off if you're a big eater) as well as answering our questions on the menu. FYI Robata means from the grill and chu-toro is a better grade of  toro (fatty tuna). Both of the toro sushi options were unfortunately unable on the night which may have been a good thing as waiter mentioned that 1 piece of such sushi currently had a market price $15. I'm glad I had a lot of it  in Japan when I was there! The waiter can also design a menu for you if you give them your taste preferences and budget but we opted to select ourselves. Turned out we ordered the right dishes as many of them were then given to the table next to us who requested the waiter design their menu!

Finally we decided on the dishes to order. 

Hokkaido Scallop Yuzu Honey w/ onion, capers, crunchy miso, yuzu honey ($18) - a tasty dish with subtle flavours - the honey wasn't overpoweringly sweet and the crunchy miso. capers added a nice texture.



Snapper and Spanner Crab Spicy soy w dried shiso, capers, spicy white soy ($20) - wow! this dish was mouth wateringly delicious! I'm a sucker for crab and snapper in general but the flavours in this dish was just so awesome! Although the crab taste was very slight, the seasoning made up for it - I wanted to eat the whole dish myself!



Moreton Bay Bug Tempura w/ green papaya, pomelo salad, sambal mayo, black pepper amazu ($26) - bug meat I think has a very light taste and I thought this dish (although done well) was a bit bland for my liking. The tempura batter and oil was just too much for the poor bug meat. The sauces were perfect for it though.




Kurobuta Pork Belly w/ spicy shirodashi, yuzu kosho ($14) - this dish was tote amazeballs - omggg, honestly one of the best pork bellys I've had in a while. Amazing seasoning and perfectly grilled pork bellys with the right amount of tenderness, fat and grilled-ness (if you know what I mean). When I first saw this dish, I thought the whole skewer was pork belly and pork fats, unfortunately, sandwiched in between each piece of pork belly was a block of radish (which I thought was a nice fatty piece of pork >_<!!)



DengakuMan w/ caramelised miso cod, japanese salsa, cucumber salad ($38) - I remember having miso cod before at Nobu in Melbourne years ago, and this dish was just as good if not better. Melt in mouth pieces of flaky succulent fish marinated in a sticky miso sauce - yummmmm. The cucumber salad was also very refreshing after the rich flavours of the fish. This is one of their signature dishes.



Queensland sushi roll w/ spanner crab, spicy avocado, soy paper ($21)  - This was a bit of a strange dish, a bit bland with little crab flavour. Although my taste buds may have been distorted by the rich flavours of the previous dish. This is also meant to be one of their signature dishes. The soy paper wrapped on the outside was the first I've seen this on a sushi roll and I'm not sure what to make of it as I couldn't really taste it and the texture was like soft nori - I think I prefer the traditional nori wrap.



Chocolate peanut butter fondant w/ vanilla icecream ($14) - at my partner's request, they wrote happy birthday on our dessert and lit a candle for me :) The choc fondant was cooked perfectly but I thought could have done with more peanut butter flavour!



A great meal overall and the bill at the end was quite reasonable. I highly recommend anyone to dine there. If you do, remember that you as a member of The Star's absolute reward membership program you can get between 10-30% off the bill! Membership is free so it's a no brainer to sign up and enjoy the discount! (unless you have a gambling problem - I am in no way promoting gambling just the discount you can get with the card).


Sokyo on Urbanspoon
Sokyo, The Star, Sydney Sokyo, The Star, Sydney Reviewed by kogepanman on 8:53 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.