Roman Tapas & Grill, Caledonian Road

I love the thrill of discovering a good restaurant that is hidden away from the main hustle and bustle.   That is exactly what Roman Tapas did for me - as soon as I walked in, it sent a little frisson of excitement through me.

It is located on a random side street near Caledonian Road and Highbury & Islington tube stops and hidden amongst a fairly residential corner.  Not too far from the hustle of Upper Street but far enough to seem like a hidden gem.

There were charming flowers on each table and a handwritten specials menu.  Complimentary olives were offered once I sat down.



We ordered some old tapas favourites.

gambas al ajillo £5.50 (prawns baked with garlic)
paella £4.20
The size of the paella was very small, about the size of my palm.  I would have loved to have more but didn't see a bigger size option on the menu.

patatas bravas £4.40 (fried potatoes with spicy tomato & aioli)
alb√≥ndigas £4.50 (meat balls with a rich sauce)


You can never go wrong with patatas bravas, a Spanish version of fries. This was my second favourite dish after the paella.
 
pincho de cerdo £5.60 (pork skewers with carmelized apple)


The pork was the biggest disappointment - it was dry and tough.

I had just enough stomach space to order a small dessert, the espresso ice cream.
Espresso ice cream


Service was very friendly but a bit slow at times. They forgot one of our wine orders and we had to remind them.  I would still come back though!

Roman Tapas & Grill on Urbanspoon

retrodaze

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment