Encasa, Haymarket (2)

>> June 17, 2013

It has been a while since I have been to Encasa, a Spanish tapas restaurant located on Pitt Street near Central Station.   Whenever Encasa is mentioned, I nod knowingly and exclaim "That place is always so busy!" Despite my act of my familiarity, I must confess that I have only been there once previously - about three years ago - but in my defence, not much has changed and the menu still looks the same.

Bookings are strongly recommended for Friday and Saturday nights. We had originally booked for 8pm on a Friday but ended up being ready for dinner at 7pm.  They offered a spot on a long table sharing with others on the proviso that we leave at 8pm.  We were hungry and readily accepted the offer.

Sangria ($19 per jug)



We ordered a number of dishes to share between the two of us.  

Chorizo a la Plancha - Grilled Spanish sausage - 10.5



Patatas Bravas - Fried potato w/ garlic mayonnaise and spicy tomato salsa ($9.50)



Champiñones al Ajillo - Sizzling garlic mushrooms ($9.50)


Out of the three tapas plates that we ordered off the normal menu, I liked the potatoes with their garlicky mayonnaise sauce the best.  The small button mushrooms were also tasty in their garlic oil.  So much garlic, it is inevitable that you will leave with garlic breath of some sort.

I was not a huge fan of the chorizo, it tasted a bit bland and had too many lumpy bits!

We also ordered two dishes off the 'specials' menu. I think both dishes were about the $25 mark.

Proscuitto wrapped prawns with polenta cake, eggplant mash and salsa verde



This plate had an odd combination of flavours on the plate.  I didn't mind each element individually but all together, it was a bit strange.

 Jamon and cheese croquettes with sweet potato crisps



This was another odd pairing and I thought it was a overpriced for the three small croquettes on the plate.

The next time I visit (which will probably end up being another three years if my track record is anything to go by), I will stick to ordering off the normal menu!

Encasa on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP