The Village, Potts Point

>> July 10, 2012

Recently I was invited to try the new Ladies Lunch menu at The Village in Potts Point.  I was excited because the Ladies Lunch seemed right up my alley - a set menu available on Saturdays and Sundays between 12pm - 4pm for $39 per person, which includes a glass of wine or champagne.

I hadn't been to The Village before, but heard from friends that it becomes a great bar at night. I was surprised to discover how cute and cosy it was during the daytime - it can actually fit up to 400 people. There was a lovely courtyard outside (would be great in the summertime) and we sat near a large window that allowed the sunshine to come streaming through.

There are chalk scribblings on the wall and if you look upwards, they're even on the ceiling.


There was a large jug of Pimms to start off the lunch.  What better drink to accompany a ladies lunch?  I love Pimms, it's so sweet and refreshing.  

 

First up was an antipasto plate to share.  There was an assortment of tasty nibblies on the plate including olives, zucchini, capsicum, proscuitto, hommus, beetroot dip and toasted herb bread.


The colours on the plate made for great food photography and I loved how it was served on the wooden board.



After that, more plates of food started to come out in quick succession and we were overcome with how much there was to eat.

Crispy salt and pepper squid 
sprinkled with sea salt and accompanied by rocket, lemon and chili aioli


This was one of my favourite dishes.  I love salt and pepper squid (I've learned how to make it at home too!) and this was very well done.  The squid tasted fresh with a hint of spice, and it came out piping hot.

Roasted pumpkin with pine nuts, baby spinach and marinated feta


This salad was surprisingly good.  I had expected it to be rather standard but instead it had a savoury dressing that added a lot of oomph.  I should mention that on this occasion, I had my friend Pro with me (we call her Pro because she could have been played Pro Netball...instead she is a lawyer now) and this salad was Pro's favourite dish of the day. 

Sicilian arrancini, spinach and smoked mozzarella



The arrancini balls were quite substantial in size and we generously smeared the tomato sauce and cheese over each ball before heaping it back onto individual plates.

Margherita pizza




Margherita pizza is always a classic crowd pleaser.  I would have liked more basil on the slices in order to add more flavour because I find that it often cuts through the density of cheese.

Tomato with mozzarella, fresh basil, olive and balsamic


This was a very simple dish and the tomatoes tasted incredibly sweet. The plating was interesting - the drizzles of balsamic reminded me of how chocolate sauce is typically drizzled onto dessert plates!

Dessert in the Ladies Lunch is served by alternate drop but we were awfully lucky and got to try both options.

Chocolate fondant with berry coulis and vanilla bean ice cream


Oh my....this chocolate fondant was deliciously gooey in the middle.  There is no better dessert for a cold winter's day and we literally polished off the entire ramekin.  The vanilla bean ice cream also went down well - as always, I love seeing vanilla bean flecks as a sign that I'm going to be tasting real vanilla.

Apple and berry crumble with vanilla bean anglaise


In comparison, the apple and berry crumble didn't have quite the same effect on us but that might have been because the chocolate fondant was so delicious.

I think $39 is quite a reasonable price for all the food that you receive in the Ladies Lunch.  What a great find for a yummy feast while catching up with the girls!

The Village
1 Kellett Way
Potts Point 2011
Ph: 8084 6057
www.the-village.com.au

The Village on Urbanspoon

We dined at the Village as guests of The Mews.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  July 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM  

Wow that is such great value for $39! The antipasto plate and the tomato, mozzarella basil salad looks delish - all the colours look amazing. Would be perfect on a lazy sunday afternoon in summer!

Mobblees,  July 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM  

Were the arrancini balls better than Jamie's?

retrodaze July 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM  

Hi anonymous: It is pretty good value, especially when you factor in the drinks as well!

Hi Mobblees: I don't know if I've tried the arrancini balls at Jamie's before so unfortunately can't do a comparison for you :(

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP