Umi Sushi + Udon, Darling Quarter

>> March 11, 2012

Who remembers when the most exciting thing in Darling Quarter was Sega World? Now Sega World is long gone and there is a brand spanking new strip of eateries including a Guylian cafe, Janus cafe, Taste Baguette and an array of restuarants.

One of these new places is Umi Sushi and Udon, sister sushi train to Umi Kaiten-Zushi at Capitol Theatre.  Umi Sushi + Udon has a nice set up where the train is located inside but there are also several large tables outside.  You can choose to order off the menu or walk inside to take sushi off the train.  The benefit of sitting outside is that you get to people-watch the hyperactive kids scrambling around like psychotic monkeys on the playground.

Pricing of the sushi plates range from $2.60 to $6.60.  If you're ordering off the paper menu, you can't see how much the plates cost unless you ask the waitress because they are only shown as pictures (see menu below).


Other side of the menu (click to enlarge)


We ordered some plum umeshi (Japanese liqueur) to share and it arrived in a very cool jug.  The crushed ice is in that little hole!


I felt like trying a few different things and noticed the 'Kids Bento Box' option which looked like a steal for $9.80.  When the waitress came around, I asked if I could order one, half expecting to be rejected, but she didn't blink and just said 'sure, which one do you want?'  Yay for kids options not being restricted to children!

Kids Bento Box A ($9.80)
Deep fried prawn and crab claw, Tuna and avocado roll, Japanese sweet omelette, jelly and sushi lolly, choice of apple or orange juice




The bento box turned out to be great value and I think most kids would be happy with it.  Not to mention the extra novelty factor in having the nigri lolly!  Also good to note that the juice comes in a glass so if you're an adult, you don't feel like a dork drinking from a popper.

Next up were a few plates of sushi which were delivered fairly promptly.  It would be better if the menu had the names of the different sushi types rather than just pictures.

Grilled salmon ($3.00)


Beef tataki ($5.60)


Salmon roll ($5.60)



Hand roll ($4.60)



The surprise of the night came from the size of two salads ordered off the menu.  I was extremely impressed when they arrived - each one was about the size of my head!

Mixed seafood salad with Japanese dressing ($11.80)



Salmon and avocado salad with sesame seed dressing ($10.80)


I wouldn't go out of my way to come back again because it's not the cheapest sushi train around. Having said that, there aren't many sushi trains in Sydney where you can sit outside and the salads were awfully good. 

Umi Sushi & Udon on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

Tina@foodboozeshoes March 12, 2012 at 9:22 AM  

I want a nigiri lolly! Those salads do look impressive, though I thought the sushi train offerings were fairly standard.

MissPiggy March 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM  

I really love Umi at Capitol Theatre so this is great to know about. I want the Nigiri Lollypop too. Cute.

retrodaze March 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM  

Hi Tina: I agree, the sushi train offerings weren't anything special and a bit pricey at that.

Hi MissPiggy: I wish I could tell you how the lolly tasted but I generously gave it to my friend!

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) March 15, 2012 at 4:27 PM  

Seriously, I sometimes find kids' food better looking and value than "adult" food!

codice sconto March 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM  

I like your post so much. You share such nice pix of food. I like salad so much. as well as menu is also useful to me.

Vivian - vxdollface June 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM  

wow the food looks great here! love the kids bento, i would be happy if i ordered that for myself haha

retrodaze June 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM  

Hi Rita and Vivian - agreed, it's always worth scoping out the 'kids' options on the menu haha!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP