Etch, Sydney CBD (3)

>> November 5, 2011

Long time loyal readers of this blog will remember that Etch is one of my favourite restaurants.  (You can read about previous visits here and here!)

So when a Travelzoo voucher popped up - a 3 course dinner for 2 people at the sum of $85, I quickly snapped one up and made a booking on the same day.  The voucher was valid for lunch or dinner, Monday to Friday so I quickly made a coveted Friday night booking on the day of buying the voucher.

Upon arriving at Etch, I was pleased to see that it was the same as my last visit - dim lighting, cosy atmosphere and just general plushness in decor.

The Travelzoo voucher entitled you to pick from a selection of items taken from their normal menu.  Considering that prices for mains are about $30+, this was really great value.  I've put the normal price of the dishes with the photos below so you can get an idea of pricing (and therefore savings!)

We ordered some drinks to start (not included in voucher) - my cocktail was delicious!  Somehow our drinks order got lost and after following up with the waiter, he apologised profusely and said that the drinks would be on the house. [Unfortunately when the bill came, we were charged for the drinks but since it had been a lovely meal, we didn't want to ruin the night by questioning the charge :-) ]

Entrees:

Confit Petuna trout, smoked scallop, radish and wasabi ($25)


One of the things I love about Etch and Justin North's restaurants generally is the presentation of the dishes.  They are always so pretty.


Pea risotto with Swiss brown butter ($23)


We ordered a side of potatoes (not included in voucher)

Provencal potatoes, aged prosciutto and garlic mayonnaise ($9)



Not exactly the most attractive dish, but it sure was yummy.  The flavouring of the potatoes reminded me of Kettle chips!  Embarrassed to say that I ate almost all of the potatoes because my dining companion had a shrinking stomach.

Mains:

Chargrilled veal rump, Sarladaise potato with malt vinegar jus



Baked snapper, scallop and squid, cauliflower bhaji and curry emulsion


Desserts:

Brillat Savarin cheesecake with Champagne and mandarin sorbet ($16)



Caramel date tart, Earl Grey tea syrup and burnt butter ice cream ($16)


The desserts were amazing and possibly my favourite part of the meal.

By now we were stuffed but the voucher also included tea or coffee with petit fours.

English breakfast tea - served with a charming glass milk jug


Petit fours


The petit fours looked like offerings from the Etch lolly tray which I had not tried before.  The peanut brittle was extremely yummy, as was the chocolate brownie like item next to it. 

What a meal!  What a voucher!  I love dining on good vouchers - who can resist when you're saving money?

Etch on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

missklicious November 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM  

What a great deal! I love etch, especially the caramel date tart.

Mobblees,  November 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM  

Tell me if ever you see another Etch offer again, cause I want to try it sometime!

retrodaze November 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM  

Hi missklicious: that caramel date tart is a sure winner! So yummy!

Hi Mobblees: Ok I'll keep you in mind if it ever comes up again!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP