Baroque, the Rocks

>> July 10, 2011

Baroque is a modern French bistro located in a great position at the beginning of George St in the Rocks.  It has been on my 'to-try' list after having drooled over other food blogger's pictures, so when I saw that Travelzoo were promoting Baroque with a $78 lunch for two, I quickly snapped it up without worrying about who my dining companion would be - after all, who wouldn't want to share in such a great deal?

When I called to make my booking, I wasn't surprised to learn that there were a limited number of bookings each day for Travelzoo voucher users.  Luckily that was fine for me since I wasn't too fussed about what date I wanted to go, but limited bookings is always something to keep in mind when buying a coupon!

It was a beautiful winter's day when we finally made our visit.  Our waitress was absolutely lovely and quickly brought over menus and table water for us.

The voucher was for two entrees, two mains and a shared dessert tasting plate with tea or coffee. You could choose whatever you wanted from the menu.

Fresh bread was brought over which we swiped into the little pan of olive oil.




We both ordered homemade iced tea (not included with the voucher), however we were both a bit disappointed when it arrived. The colour of my friend's iced tea was significantly lighter than mine, and upon tasting, hers tasted a bit like cordial. Very strange! We concluded that they might us a pre ready syrup or mix and diluted hers a bit too much.


Homemade iced tea




For my entree, I chose the grilled scallops.


Grilled scallops, shitake confiture, fried pine nuts, Jerusalem artichoke, butternut pumpkin  (normally $22)

 

My friend chose the calamari for her entree.

Fricassé of calamari, saffron cracker, crab cream (normally $20)




After tasting her dish, I have to confess that I had a moment of food envy. The calamari was delectably soft and the surrounding cream had the beautiful flavour of crab infused into it.

I was satisfied with my choice of main though, which was delicious (and personally, I thought it was tastier than my friend's choice!)

Grilled Angus flank steak, triple cooked chips, eschalotte and watercress salad, béarnaise sauce (normally $35)




I was charmed by the small pot of béarnaise sauce which our waitress used to dollop the sauce onto my plate while serving.  The flank steak was cooked just how I had asked (medium) and the sauce was thick and creamy.  The triple cooked chips were just a bit too much for me, they were extra crispy and crunchy so I offered these up to my companion who loved them.


Risotto of butternut pumpkin, puree of brown butter, sage, chestnut served with scallops (normally $33)


The colours of the scallops and risotto reminded me of my entree!  I had a small taste and the risotto was nice and not gluggy like risotto can sometimes be.

Lastly and finally....the pièce de resistance....the dessert tasting plate!

I let out a little gasp when it was placed reverently on our table and couldn't resist snapping a few extra photos.  It was so pretty!



A selection of four macarons, three small cakes, a petit four and scattered chocolate curls restiing on a bed of crumble and gold flakes.   Amazing and I loved it!

My favourite was the chai macaron, a flavour which I haven't tasted anywhere else before.  It was dense and so packed with chai flavour, I was tempted to grab some from to go!

After the meal, we were both full and realised we had been there for about two hours, slowly eating our way through the relaxing lunch.  It was a great voucher experience - delicious food and wonderful service, I would definitely buy the voucher again if it came up!

Baroque | Bistro Bar Patisserie on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

mademoiselle délicieuse July 10, 2011 at 11:55 PM  

I haven't managed to get myself to Baroque yet, neither have I had a chance to try their macarons as each time I walk past there is a queue snaking out the door! Food looks lovely.

chocolatesuze July 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM  

that dessert is just too pretty to eat!

jathon July 11, 2011 at 10:37 PM  

Triple cooked??? How many times does a potato need cooking?

retrodaze July 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM  

Hi mademoiselle délicieuse: It took me a while to finally get to Baroque as well, I think it's worth a try because they seem to do both savoury and sweet well!

Hi chocolatesuze: I agree, but we somehow found it within ourselves to demolish it :)

Hi jathon: I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere out there, there are quadruple cooked chips on the menu! Hehe

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP