Azuma Kushiyaki, Regent Place

>> January 28, 2011

I never felt a strong desire to try Azuma Kushiyaki despite reading other blog posts about it.  But one day, that changed.

It was all due to my friend Moose who told me about an episode of SBS Food Safari.....you may have read or heard about it before.  When I googled Azuma and Food Safari, there were a sackful of hits for the famous seared tuna salad that was prepared by Azuma himself on the show.

Even if you hadn't heard of the Food Safari episode prior to entering Azuma Kushiyaki, it is a bit hard to miss.  Everywhere that the seared tuna salad is mentioned on the menu, the words 'As seen on Food Safari' are written right next to it!

So of course I had to try it.  If it's good enough to be on TV, it's good enough for me to eat.

My two dining companions (I might add, Moose wasn't among them so I tried it even before him! In fact, I don't think he has even tried the tuna salad yet...)  were so impressed by the numerous Food Safari references, they also ordered the tuna salad.  The waitress lifted her eyebrows and said, 'Three tuna salads?'

Well what do you expect when you scatter TV references all over the menu?


Seared tuna salad ($16.00)
Served with ponzu vinaigrette




Did it live up to the hype?


Yes!   It was delicious!  Each piece of tuna was perfectly seared.  The dressing was light and tangy and I ate each piece of tuna with a bit of the shallots and radish that were generously scattered on top.  I would definitely get it again.

Spicy miso soup ($8.80)


The soup came in a large bowl with cute quail eggs inside.  

Inside out spider hand roll ($11.00)


I couldn't go to Azuma Kushiyaki without trying some kushiyaki!   I ordered some to try individually from the menu.
Atlantic Salmon with Soy ($3.00)



The salmon was my favourite - I ended up getting another salmon after this one because it was so good.  The fish had been cooked perfectly with a great charred flavour.  I added some of the Himalayan Pink Rock Salt that was on the table (and which they sell instore), and bam!  The flavour became even more delicious.





Sea perch marinated in soy, sake and mirin ($3.00)



The sea perch was my second favourite.  It was soft, not too salty and once again, tasted great with the rock salt.

Wild scallop with soy and homemade garlic oil ($3.00)
 Chicken thigh fillet with Kushiyaki sauce ($3.00)


These two were disappointing.  The scallop was a bit overcooked - and I don't know if you can tell from the photo but the skewer consisted of 1.5 tiny scallops i.e. three halves of a scallop.  It was not satisfying.

The chicken wasn't great either, just ordinary.

We also ordered some drinks, including lychee liquer with soda, and with orange - they were nice but very weak. 

But all in all, a good experience and I would return! 

Azuma Kushiyaki on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

chocolatecol,  January 31, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

Retrodaze - you've outdone yourself! Truly looks like a delicious feast. BAM! Pink rock salt

retrodaze February 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM  

Hi ourfoodtales: Each piece looked so good! And tasted great too

Hi chocolatecol: I regret not buying that pink rock salt, I may have to return to get it - I think it could add a little something to every meal! (that required salt)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP