Sago at the Chinatown Night Markets, Sydney

I love sago. I'm not sure why, since it doesn't have much flavour but it is somehow simply delicious.

Mobblees and I stumbled across a sago stall at the Chinatown night markets and I felt like I had died and gone to heaven.

The sago stall with pictures of sago hung up


They had different flavours - taro sago, coconut sago, even watermelon sago! They also had some other desserts like black sticky rice....yum!

We both purchased a small sized bowl of coconut sago each and sat down among the masses to enjoy it.

I pried open the top of the lid and knew that I was in for a treat

Coconut sago (smallest size - $4)



The serving size was very decent. For only $4, you received a medium sized styrofoam bowl. Even with my love of sago, I struggled to finish the last few spoonfuls.

Height of the bowl


It was warm and very comforting to eat. The coconut milk was very strong in flavour and just when I thought that it couldn't get any better, I was delighted to find a surprise in the bowl...

Closeup of the sago



.....lychee jelly cube!!!

A cube of lychee jelly



The perfect accompaniment!

Unfortunately there were only 3 cubes in my whole bowl. I would have dearly loved a few more.

I can't wait to go again and try some of their other flavours!


The Chinatown night markets are on every Friday night in Chinatown, starting from about 5pm.

retrodaze

We have been writing about food in Sydney since 2009. No place is too far or too wide for us to travel to visit. We always give an honest opinion and love to hear your comments too. Here's to an ever-growing society of foodies!

5 comments:

  1. i wonder if you can buy lychee jelly.. besides those individual packet ones that you suck out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coconut sago as well - one of my favourite desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jathon: I think you can - in cans at an asian grocery store.

    Hi missklicious: There is something about it, it's just so yum!

    ReplyDelete