Ramen Kan, Haymarket

Ramen Kan is a hidden restaurant that is a few doors down from Wagaya. You could walk past the lift entrance without even realising it!

Luckily I was introduced to this gem early on in my uni degree so have visited it numerous times for a bite to eat.

I don't have any photos of the decor (I feel a bit silly taking photos of a place that I visit frequently, as though it is not worth a blog post), but it is quite nice inside, with sofa seating along one wall and wooden floorboards.

Nine times out of ten, I will order the same thing,

Kaisen don ($10.90)




This used to cost $9.90 back in the day.



But despite the price increase, it is still value for money.

For those who don't know what a kaisen-don is, it's basically raw salmon and tuna on a bed of rice.



A lot of mayo is used and the pieces of fish here are usually quite mushy. The first time I tried it, I didn't like it but I have grown accustomed to the soft, mushy fish.

At Ramen-kan, it is served with a small miso soup and salad.

Small miso soup




Small salad




The whole combo is incredibly filling and most of the time, I can't finish it.

Sometimes I also like to order a green milk tea.

Green milk tea ($4.50?)



Check out the gradient of the drink!



It is heavy on the matcha flavour. The only thing that could make it more perfect is if it was served with a scoop of green tea ice cream (which I think they do at Wagaya?)

retrodaze

We have been writing about food in Sydney since 2009. No place is too far or too wide for us to travel to visit. We always give an honest opinion and love to hear your comments too. Here's to an ever-growing society of foodies!

3 comments:

  1. I love Ramen-kan. Especially the ramen sets with gyoza. The one I used to frequent in Chatswood has closed down though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mushy sashimi-eek.
    But yes, I do think it's good value for money there.
    Are you going to post on the non-existent soup dumplings? haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi SK: I haven't tried the gyoza at Ramen Kan before, I'll have to check it out sometime!

    Hi Mobblees: Yes, I'll post about the dumplings in the future. Though it wouldn't be the first time that I've been disappointed with dumplings!

    ReplyDelete