The Observatory Hotel, the Rocks

High tea at the Observatory Hotel! Hosted by my friend, the Vintage Queen, it was delightful fun.

Alas, I forgot to take photos of the interior design and lighting! Oops. Usually one of my favourite parts of food blogging.

High tea takes place in the Globe Bar and it is quite a large space, with a combination of round and long tables. The decor is old fashioned, with plush seating and mahogany accents all around the room.

We were a party of seven so were seated at a long table. From the selection of teas, we were allowed to choose four blends.

Glass of champagne and some water


For our teas, we chose Warm Spice, Dragon Eyes (Jasmine), White Peony and...I think the last one was Earl Grey?


They each came out in a different style of teapot.

Two of the teapots



And of course, there was sugar and milk on the table. I love sugar cubes! I would like to use sugar cubes at home.

Sugar for the tea


The tea themselves were a bit ordinary.

Jasmine tea - tasted like my favourite blend of Lipton's Jasmine Green Tea


White Peony - tasted like one of the types of tea that you can order at yumcha



Warm Spice - this was nice, like a very smooth chai



Having seen lots of tiers being carried out to other tables, I was looking forward to trying the pastries and sandwiches.



On the top tier, there were mini scones.


Jam and cream for the scones


The scones were very cute in their mini size but the inside was a bit crusty. I prefer my scones to be light and fluffy (and warm if I'm very lucky!) but I still enjoyed eating these ones. Scones with cream and jam is just plain yummy!

On the second tier, there were various sweet treats.

Second tier


Close up of the second tier


The tall glasses in the background are pannacottas which had a strong cherry flavour.

Here are some closeups of the sweet treats:

Mini cupcake - cute but not super flavoursome


Mini fruit tart - standard




Mini crème brûlée - surprisingly very good!


Finally, on the last tier, there were sandwiches and mini quiche lorraines.

Bottom tier


The sandwich varieties were cucumber, egg, ham & cheese and smoked salmon with mustard.

It was the Vintage Queen's birthday and during the middle of the afternoon tea, they presented her with a lovely tray of birthday treats.


Close-up of the tray


The Vintage Queen was nice enough to share her tray around and I carefully selected a macaron to try.


And it was really good!!!! The exterior crumpled softly when I bit into it and the filling was a light mandarin jelly jam. Much better than the ones I tried at Adriano Zumbo...

I think I would like to try more High Teas. So far I have only been to this one, the Swissotel and the Shangri-La. It is in the interests of food blogging that I should try some more...

retrodaze

We have been writing about food in Sydney since 2009. No place is too far or too wide for us to travel to visit. We always give an honest opinion and love to hear your comments too. Here's to an ever-growing society of foodies!

5 comments:

  1. OMG HOW CAN YOU BAG OUT ADRIANO ZUMBO YOU FIND ANY CHANCE TO HAVE A GO AT THAT POOR MAN MAYBE YOU WERE NOT SHOWN LOVE AS A CHILD, MAYBE YOUR MUM MADE VERY GOOD MACAROOONS AND DIDNT GIVE ANY TO YOU BUT NOBODY IS BETTER THAN AZ YOU FOOD BLOGGER YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'tasted like my favourite blend of Lipton's Jasmine Green Tea'

    that's because it probably was...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to mention how fantastic the rose champagne was!
    These photos are pretty amazing considering you needed encouragement to start snapping (and I had no idea you ended up taking so many).
    Stand out pastry the mini fruit tart - agree, disagree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MC Fan 1987: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Perhaps I tried Adriano's macarons on an 'off' day.

    Hi Jathon: How cynical of you.

    Hi Sahara: Wow, thanks for the compliment, I've never thought of my food blog photos as the 'amazing' variety. I would have to disagree with the fruit tart being the stand out. Admittedly, I didn't try all of the sweet treats but I still wouldn't rate the tart as the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. u should try qvb. although i think the observ was better. standard foods but better atmos. the qvb gets a little like a food hall after a while.
    i'll do a little searching in the city and we can go again.

    ReplyDelete