The Falconer, Darlinghurst

After Phamish, the Chief and I ventured on a search for some good dessert. We took a short walk up to Oxford St and the Chief recommended the Falconer.

It was warm and cosy inside, a very welcome shelter from the rain beating down outside. As soon as we walked in, I knew that I would like this place. It has an old-world charm that made me feel as though we had stepped back fifty years in time. With the dim lighting and old records, I felt like pretending that we were two detectives hunting down the Maltese Falcon who had slipped into a dark, hidden coffee store to discuss our progress.

But of course, we were just there for dessert.

A very blurry Falconer menu - why do I bother?



Romantic candlelight




The decor is wonderfully charming. Round booth seats, low hanging lights and retro posters on the wall.

Booth seating


The counter at the front of the store


I had a craving for a thickshake, which wasn't on the menu but the friendly waitress assured me that she could make me one. I requested vanilla flavour - extra thick.

The vanilla thickshake



It was exactly what I was craving for and I managed to drink at least two thirds of the tall glass.

The Chief and I decided to share a banoffee tart that we had spied in the window as we walked in.

The banoffee tart


This was surprisingly good. The cream was very thick with a strong caramel flavour and there were pieces of banana hidden in the tart.

I think I definitely want to revisit the Falconer again - I love odd cosy places!

retrodaze

We have been writing about food in Sydney since 2009. No place is too far or too wide for us to travel to visit. We always give an honest opinion and love to hear your comments too. Here's to an ever-growing society of foodies!

5 comments:

  1. Hello from Vancouver!
    That tart looks delicious!

    P.S. See, I'm your #1 reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mobblees!

    Wow, even people in Vancouver read my blog! Thanks for the comment, I think it really shows your dedication.

    I look forward to hearing your Vancouver food stories.

    And yes, the tart was really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore The Falconer. That tart looks sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tina: I think I need to revisit asap for more tart goodness!

    ReplyDelete