The Little Chilli House, Hurstville

>> August 21, 2009

So I had a craving for xiao long baos but didn't want to travel all the way to Ashfield. I recalled seeing a dumpling place in Hurstville and asked my friend if they wanted to come test it out with me.

The Little Chilli House on Forest Road


The Little Chilli House has a cute name. It is located on Forest Road, next to Japan Home Centre and is a one minute walk up from the station but is at the slightly less busier end of Forest Road.

The entrance


The store window



There is a long window that wraps around the outside and continues as you walk inside. It contained lots of different foods and buns.

Buns in the windows


Food to takeaway?

More buns in the window



But we were only here for one (or a few) things after all so we ignored all of the foodstuffs in the window and sat down with a menu.

The menu and a sample page



After we ordered, I had a look around. Just like the dumpling places in Ashfield, there was someone at the back of the store carefully making them!

Dumpling making in progress


It was about 3pm in the afternoon and most of the tables were empty.


There wasn't much people-watching to do, so we just sat and drank some tea.

Complimentary tea


After about a ten minute wait, our food started to arrive! Yay!!


Xiao long baos ($6.80 (?) for 8)



Carrot placed on the bottom of each dumpling


The xiao long baos were.....disappointing!!!!! They had no soup in them!!!! My friend swears that in their first one, there was soup but for the rest of them - nothing!!!!!

No soup inside



I was so upset, I had been really looking forward to having that slightly oily soup burst open in my mouth and fill it with soupy goodness. Sigh.

Pan fried dumplings ($6.80(?) for 8)



I don't know if you can tell from the photos but these weren't very good either. The dumpling pastry was too thick and we had trouble actually chewing and swallowing.


Pan fried pork buns ($7.80 for 6)



Out of the three dishes, this was the one that I liked the best (or at all?). There was hot soup insde and the bottoms were fried to golden crisp. The texture of the bottom reminded me of a donut skin.


All three dishes were served a vinegar dipping sauce.




Would I revisit? Probably not. I was just excited to see if I could avoid trekking out to Ashfield to get my fix of xiao long baos.

The service was quite good though, and maybe the rest of their menu has some hidden gems.

The Little Chilli House on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Mobblees,  August 23, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

What a coincidence, I went to Ashfield today and had dumplings for the first time there (at Ashfield).
Forgotten what it was called but it seemed pretty popular, and cheap as well.

I love the soup in them yummm

retrodaze August 24, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

Hi Mobblees: Wow, you trekked all the way to Ashfield!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 24, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

Oh what a shame they were empty! :( When I saw the pic of them I thought "Uh oh these don't look very plump" which means of course the soup. It's so disappointing when that happens isn't it!

William August 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

make your own dumplings!!!!

retrodaze August 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

Hi Lorraine: I know, I was so let down! It's just not a xiao long bao without the soup.

Hi William: I thought it would take years of schooling to make them! Do you know how to make them?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP